Discernment is important in our spiritual journey. It is the inner voice through which our spiritual guides speak to us.
Without true discernment, we will become delusional in our efforts of seeking spiritual guidance. Or, in some cases, without proper discernment, we will fall into the trap of becoming psychotics or sociopaths.
Hence, before concluding that we’re spiritually guided, we need to ask where that guidance comes from. In fact, Hitler believed he was spiritually guided to purify his race, so you see how important is to be sure we have proper discernment that is truly spiritually guided.
The key to discernment is quite tricky. An enlightened master once said that we must be skeptical when someone tells us they’re too sure when receiving clear guidance.
Discernment might be a tough job, but we’re not left alone to grope in the dark. Certain guides are given to us to ensure that what we receive is a true spiritual guidance.
However, these guides serve only as prompts for our intuition and discernment and should not be interpreted too literally.
14 Signs That Will Help You Discern If You’re Truly Spiritually Guided:
1. There is a taste of freedom. While discerning, you don’t feel as if you’re in a cage where the door either opens or closes. It’s a kind of freedom that is beyond comfort and ease.
2. There is kindness at heart. This kindness is not the type where you have to please people all the time. Rather it helps you set boundaries which may seem unkind because it involves tough love. As long as your kindness isn’t cruel or insensitive, you are being spiritually guided.
3. There is a feeling of aliveness. True spiritual guidance makes you feel vitally alive. It doesn’t make you feel dead inside.
4. There is an excitement, a rightness, and lightness of being. No matter how scary a task may appear to you, when you don’t feel any dread, the guidance is pure. You may feel scared, but when it comes with feelings of lightness, you’re on the right track.
5. It gives you energy. Even if spiritual guidance may require you to perform a task that needs a lot of energy, you don’t feel depleted because spiritual guidance only asks you to do things that nourish you with spiritual energy.
6. It feels natural, efficient, peaceful, and graceful. Spiritual guidance makes you breathe more easily. This signifies that the guidance is real.
7. It makes sense. At times, spiritual guidance may ask you to do things that sound crazy, like leaving a job. But when there’s more sense in it, the guidance is pure. When you feel you were being asked to do things that violate your common sense, you have to slow down and ask for confirmation or clarification.
8. It may hurt someone emotionally for their own good. You are spiritually guided when you have to awaken a lazy person, who is financially dependent on you, by sending them out of the house. The act may hurt, but you’re just being guided to help this person rethink and re-evaluate their life so they can use their suppressed potential. However, if you feel the guidance creates potential danger to others, you need to double check yourself.
9. There is a presence of love. Sometimes you are faced with a situation where you would ask: What would I love to do? Love could either forgive unforgivable acts or make you leave a person. Just make sure your decision is based on this great power of the universe.
10. It makes your body feels expansive. After you receive a guidance, ask what your body feels. Look for signs. If it’s giving you a headache or feelings of exhaustion, instead of lightness it might be a sign that you are not actually receiving guidance. Wait until you feel your heart lights up. You can always ask the invisible force of love for confirmation.
11. There is no control or coercion. Love doesn’t control or coerce. If these feelings are present, listen more deeply. The guidance may not be out of love.
12. It is ethical and aligned with your core values. No matter how much spiritually guided you feel, when it violates your or someone else’s ethics and core values, think again. True guidance doesn’t harm you or others.
13. It cultivates a stillness in you. Despite the busyness of the world you’re in, true guidance cultivates a response that relaxes your nervous system. It’s not true guidance when it makes you respond out of fear.
14. It leads you to answer what’s true and not true about the situation. You may find yourself being confused while searching for the right answer. However, you have to look for the possibilities of having both. Sometimes the solution might be contained in a paradox.
When you feel you have to ask for someone to help you in the discernment process, you could ask help from therapists, spiritual counselors, and healers. They may help you confirm and bring to light what’s already in your heart.
Source: Conscious Reminder;