One of the 4 pillars of exercise SEMC that we at life coach code advise people to implement in their work out schedule, is cardio.
Cardio are types of exercises that stimulate your cardiovascular system. You don’t have to go to the gym to have a good cardio exercise though.
There are cardio exercises you can do outside like fast walking, sprinting, jogging, swimming, hiking.
And there are cardio exercises you can do at home like walking the stairs, jumping jacks, jumping rope, burpees, HIIT trainings.
There is also an option to go to the gym and use a cardio machine that they have, or get one for your home.
You might wonder why do cardio? Well, aside from the fact that it’s one of the 4 workout pillars, there are many health benefits.
Health Benefits of Cardio Exercise:
A cardio workout is an intense form of exercise that has many benefits for your health.
Few of those benefits are, cardio increases your heart rate and benefits the cardiovascular health;
It improves your metabolism and sleep;
It strengthens your heart, muscles, and lungs;
It lowers blood sugar;
It reduces the risk for diabetes, coronary artery disease, stroke, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, headaches, high blood pressure;
And it enhances overall mental health.
The best way to get these benefits from your cardio workout is by combining it with strength training, that’s another pillar of the balanced work out plan SEMC, and a good diet.
Many people use cardio machines for their workouts as they are convenient and offer great results within the comfort of their home or gym.
Listed below are the 4 different types of cardio machines and how to use them.
The 4 Different Types of Cardio Machines:
1. Elliptical trainers.
This fitness equipment is designed to mimic climbing, walking, and running in an orbital motion that also enables your arms to move the handles back and forth.
This allows you to work both your upper and lower body as you use the machine.
This machine is ideal for those who have joint pain as this has minimal impact on the knees and other joints.
If you’re looking for a great elliptical trainer, you can compare the Bowflex M3 vs M5 and see which one will work best for your needs.
Here are the instructions on how to use elliptical trainers:
1. Step onto the machine. Make sure you are doing it while facing the console.
2. Start pedaling. Pedal by pushing the pedals back and forth while holding on to the handles allowing the motion to take control.
3. Follow the instructions. You can find the instructions on the screen or you can do your own workout routine.
4. Make sure you step away safely. Before stepping down the elliptical, make sure that it has fully stopped.
2. A Treadmill.
A treadmill is known to help in keeping you slim and fit.
It mimics walking or running by having a wide conveyor that you step onto and has an adjustable speed depending on your workout.
Some treadmills have an option to incline enabling you to have the effect of hiking.
Here are the instructions on how to use a treadmill:
1. Familiarize yourself with the machine. Study on how to increase and decrease the speed and incline.
2. Get on the machine. Stand on the sides of the belt and put your hands on the handles. If there’s a safety kill switch, attach it to your body.
3. Start the machine. The belt will move slowly. As it happens, place your feet onto the belt one at a time, mimicking a walk, then take off your hands off the handrails.
4. Start slow and gradually increase the speed as you go on. Gradually decrease your speed if you’re planning to get down to eliminate the possibility of dizziness.
3. Spinning bikes.
If you hate running but would want to get the benefits of losing weight from it, there is an answer.
The cycling option could be one of the best answers. A spinning bike is similar to an indoor bike. It gives you everything a bike offers while you are staying in place.
Here are the instructions on how to use spinning bikes:
1. Adjust the chair. Make sure you adjust the height of the chair and adjust resistance according to your preference.
2. Adjust the pedal clips and handlebars. Make sure that the pedals and handlebars are adjusted for your size.
3. Sit on the spinning bike facing front. Place your feet on the pedals and your hands on the handle.
4. Start cycling slowly. Start slowly and gradually increase your speed as you go on.
5. Slow down before getting off. Before stepping down, try to decrease your speed gradually so you won’t be surprised when you get off the machine.
4. Rowing machine.
One of the most intimidating fitness machines, the rowing machine. This fitness equipment helps to focus on your lower body muscles.
The machine mimics the movement of a rowing boat.
It’s important to take note that when you’re using this machine, power is more important than speed.
Here are the instructions on how to use a rowing machine:
1. Sit onto the machine and attach the safety straps on your feet. Make sure that you are seated the right way.
2. Maintain a proper and straight posture as you sit. You need to make sure that your legs are straight and are not dropping to the sides.
3. Depending on your workout, you have to make sure that you don’t pull your hand up high and try to level it as you work. When pushing, try to keep your knees bent in the same direction and not sideways. Don’t also hunch your back and try to maintain a straight body.
How to choose the right cardio machine?
When choosing the right cardio machine, make sure that you pick the one that will suit you to fulfill your needs and not just something you want to try.
If you have a joints problem, the elliptical trainer would be the best option, if not, you can opt to go for a treadmill or spinning bike.
When you are feeling ill, don’t push yourself and know when’s your limit so won’t be doing any potential harm to your body.
With whatever workout you do, you must try to keep it safe as much as possible. Never skip to stretch your muscles by doing warmup and cooldown exercises as you start and end your exercise as this will help you work out better and reduce the risk of any injuries.
How to Use This Article?
👉 Step 1. Decide what kind of cardio exercise most suits your needs and result requirements.
👉 Step 2. Find the right machine or activity that can provide such work out and do that cardio exercise at least once per week.
👉 Step 3. Follow the how to use instructions given on the machine or in this article too use it in a safe way.
All the knowledge on the planet will not help you if you do not take action.