Psychologists and coaches have a term called Phubbing. It is a serious offense with reportedly serious side effects for a relationship.
It is a very real epidemic happening all around the world. What is it? Phubbing is the act of phone snubbing.
It is someone ignoring the person in their company to pay attention to their phone instead.
Not only is it rude and inconsiderate, but it is a real problem that is actually ruining many relationships and causing depression in individuals.
Maybe you don’t even realize that you are doing it. Most likely, if you are a victim of this offense you know, but maybe you don’t realize how much it is actually affecting you.
Ask These Questions To Determine If You Or Your Partner Phub Each Other:
So if you’re curious and you’d like to get a sense of how often you and your partner, or friends, phub each other, answer each of these questions on a scale from 1 to 5:
1. During a typical mealtime that my partner and I spend together, my partner pulls out and checks their cell phone.
2. My partner places their cell phone where they can see it when we are together.
3. My partner keeps their cell phone in their hand when he or she is with me.
4. When my partner’s cell phone rings or beeps, they pulls it out even if we are in the middle of a conversation.
5. My partner glances at their cell phone when talking to me.
6. During leisure time that my partner and I are able to spend together, my partner uses their cell phone.
7. My partner uses their phone when we are talking.
8. My partner uses their cell phone when we are out together.
9. If there is a lull in our conversation, my partner will check their cell phone.
This above questionnaire was one part of a study conducted by James A. Roberts, a professor of marketing at Baylor University Hankamer School of Business, and his research partner, assistant marketing professor Meredith David, Ph.D. They wanted to learn about the relational effects of “Pphubbing” or partner phubbing. The higher the number of your results the more Phubbing there is in your relationship.
If you want to read more about Phubbing you can check this article here.