Anxiety seems to be the modern world’s default state of existence. We try to hide it, we try to act as if everything is fine, but deep down we all feel the constant buzz of anxiety.
Anxiety disorders along with depression are a global problem, and more and more people report they struggle with these mental disorders.
But some might argue that anxiety disorders are as mental as they are spiritual. They are symptoms of a deeper issue, an issue steaming out of the story we keep telling ourselves.
The modern lifestyle makes us sedentary, it puts us in a routine of the known, it shelters us from facing the unknown, from getting out of the comfort zone.
And on top of it all, science has proven countless things that change the narrative we kept telling ourselves, the narrative that protected us from the unknown.
So we live life based on the old narrative we know it’s mostly fake and we go by our days in a manner that goes against our evolutionary course, of course we feel anxious.
People combat these feelings with countless distractions from social media to playing games and overworking.
But our subconscious mind knows that we have pending requests and questions we need to answer to ourselves so we have this background hum of anxiety.
There are teachings, books and quotes especially, that spiritual gurus have provided. These wise teachings have the power to remind us of deeper truths that reduce our anxiety.
10 Quotes That Reduce Anxiety:
1. “Anxiety’s like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you very far.” — Jodi Picoult
2. “Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.” — Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
3. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
4. “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” — Dan Millman
5. “People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.” — George Bernard Shaw
6. “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” — Walter Anderson
7. “Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.” — Charles Spurgeon
8. “Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away.” — Hakuin Ekaku
9. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
10. “Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson