Ever heard of Hakuin Ekaku? If not, then you’re in for a major treat of wisdom today as we are going to show you his most inspiring quotes.
Ekaku lived in Japan in the 1700s and is considered one of the most influential figures in Japanese Zen Buddhism.
In his young age, he suffered a nervous breakdown and was sick for almost two years. It was then that he sought advice from a Taoist cave dwelling hermit named Hakuyu.
This is the one who prescribed a visualisation and breathing practice which eventually relieved his symptoms.
From this point on, Hakuin put a great deal of importance on physical strength and health in his Zen practice.
Hakuin often spoke of strengthening the body by concentrating the spirit, and followed this advice himself.
The practices Hakuin learned from Hakuyu are still passed down within the Rinzai school. Here are some of his most inspiring quotes.
10 Most Inspiring Quotes By Hakuin Ekaku:
1. “All beings by nature are Buddhas, as ice by nature is water. Apart from water there is no ice, apart from beings, no Buddhas.”
2. “At this moment, is there anything lacking? Nirvana is right here now before our eyes. This place is the lotus land. This body now is the Buddha.”
3. “If you forget yourself, you become The Universe.”
4. “Underlying great doubt there is great satori, where there is thorough questioning there will be thoroughgoing experience of awakening.”
5. “Meditation in the midst of activity is a thousand times superior to meditation in stillness.”
6. “The spirit of meditation is the combating of self willed thinking, it is a combat against the weight of one’s feelings.”
7. “Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away.”
8. “What is this true meditation? It is to make everything, coughing, swallowing, waving the arms, motion, stillness, words, action, the evil and the good, prosperity and shame, gain and loss, right and wrong, into one single koan.”
9. “Should you desire the great tranquillity, prepare to sweat.”
10. “At the bottom of great doubt lies great awakening. If you doubt fully, you will awaken fully.”